The Mercedes-Benz Arena Berlin is proud to be part of AEG 1EARTH, the Anschutz Entertainment Group’s industry-leading environmental sustainability program. The mission of AEG 1EARTH is to reduce our company’s environmental impact and drive business value through sustainability. Through AEG 1EARTH, we:
- Identify goals to guide company decision-making
- Measure and quantify the environmental impact of our activities
- Develop strategies and tools to improve our environmental performance
To fulfill this mission, we focus on issues that are significant to AEG from a business and environmental perspective. In 2010, AEG released a set of eight 2020 Environmental Goals to address these issues and drive measurable progress towards reducing AEG’s environmental footprint.
What we do:
The Mercedes-Benz Arena aims to reduce environmental pollution. Our continuous efforts include saving energy and water, recycling, using environmentally friendly products and helping strengthen the awareness for environmental issues. Some examples of environmentally friendly projects we have implemented include:
- A central control system allows us to strictly monitor water and energy usage – the basis for energy-optimized operations
- We have switched to LED lighting in all areas of the arena
- A block heating power plant was installed on the roof of the arena one year ago. The plant generates energy from natural gas on-site and captures waste heat for use in the arena, thereby reducing our greenhouse gas emissions.
- All toilets have water-saving flushes
- For catering, we only use bio-degradable cups made of corn starch, and food from local or regional producers
- Detergents are bio-degradable
- Waste is separated and recycled or composted as appropriate
- We have a green roof installed on a large share of the arena and the parking block
- We try not to use more water than absolutely necessary. That is why we have central toilet flushing and an organic water purification plant.
- The arena can be very easily reached by public transport and offers parking for 400 bicycles
More information on AEG’s environmental sustainability efforts and the further steps towards reaching the 2020 Environmental Goals can be found on the AEG 1 Earth website.
What you can do:
We are trying our best to reduce environmental pollution and we hope you will join us in our efforts. This is what you can do to make your visit to the Mercedes-Benz Arena more environmentally friendly:
- If possible, walk to the arena, travel by bike, use public transport or share a car with others in order to avoid traffic and save petrol and parking costs. You can find more information on how to get to the Mercedes-Benz Arena here.
- Please close the water tap when you are finished and let us know if you notice a leak.
- Please do not use more disposable items than absolutely necessary (e.g. paper towels, napkins, plastic cutlery).