What We Do
Mercedes-Benz Arena is committed to reducing our environmental impact. Our ongoing efforts are to conserve energy and water, recycle, use environmentally friendly products, and help raise awareness of environmental issues.
With the non-profit association Anschutz hilft e.V., the Anschutz Entertainment Group launched an initiative more than 10 years ago that has since supported and promoted selected charitable projects in the immediate vicinity of the Mercedes-Benz Arena.
Energy supply and consumption
- The green electricity is produced by means of hydroelectric power in Northern Europe and is certified with the RenewablePlus eco-label by TÜV Rheinland.
- In all areas we have completely switched to LED lighting
- The natural gas supply of the Mercedes-Benz Arena is climate-neutral thanks to the support of a run-of-river hydroelectric power plant in Malana, India, an emissions reduction project certified with ÖkoPlus.
- Savings in the production of ice cooling by installing a screw compressor.
- Reduction of CO2 emissions thanks to a cogeneration plant on the roof, powered by natural gas, which covers the base load of the arena.
- Large parts of our roof and the roof of our parking garage are covered with greenery
- We use regional products and seasonal foods as much as possible for our food offerings to avoid unnecessary transportation.
- The arena is optimally connected to local and long-distance public transport.
- We encourage our guests to use public transport, carpool or come by bike.
As little plastic as possible
In line with the law banning single-use plastic in effect since July 3, 2021, we had previously stopped issuing the following items:
- plastic lids
- drinking straws
- plastic utensils
- our snack trays and beer carriers are made of recycled cardboard without exception.
- the bowls in which our nachos are served are made of sugar cane fiber (bagasse).
- we currently still use biodegradable cups made of PLA or cardboard, but plan to switch to a reusable cup system.
- use of recyclable rubbish bags
- We do not hand out napkins with each order and instead rely on napkin dispensers.
- We ask our guests to use only as many disposable items (e.g. paper towels, napkins) as necessary.
- Trash is separated at all food and beverage stands.
- Where possible, we purchase food unpackaged.
- Approximately 94% of the trash generated is recycled.
- Cleaning products are biodegradable
- We try not to use more water than necessary. Therefore, the toilets are flushed centrally.
- We also operate a biological drinking water treatment plant
- We use groundwater to irrigate the surrounding green areas.
Mercedes-Benz Arena is proud to be part of AEG 1EARTH, Anschutz Entertainment Group's sustainability program. AEG 1EARTH includes:
- Sharing environmental best practices with other venues.
- Monthly evaluation of our environmental performance: measuring energy consumption, water consumption as well as waste separation.
- AEGS science-based GHG emissions reduction goal is based on the 2018 “Global Warming of 1.5˚ C” report from the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
Anschutz hilft e.V.
With our association Anschutz hilft e.V. we support the projects CABUWAZI Friedrichshain, GeBeWo - Soziale Dienste - Berlin GmbH with the medical and dental practice for homeless people at Stralauer Platz, Die Arche in Friedrichshain, Spielwagen, StreetUniverCity, Drop In e.V., Bahnhofsmission am Berliner Ostbahnhof, KulturLeben Berlin, Give Something Back To Berlin, as well as Kreuzberg Hilft. The total amount that has been donated to these projects since Anschutz hilft e.V. was founded amounts to around EUR 400,000.
Further information can be found on the Anschutz hilft e.V. website.